What is empadronamiento?
Empadronamiento (also called Padrón) is a city hall registration to inform the municipal register where you currently reside. It is a census record which allows the city to generate a list of local inhabitants. It is mandatory to register (empadronarse) for anyone who plans to live in Spain more than six months in a year.
What is empadronamiento needed for?
The need for a certificado de empadronamiento varies from region to region and from office to office. In one office, even in the same city, you might be asked for the empadronamiento for a certain administrative procedure, while in an office 100m away, they don’t need it. In general, it’s always good to have it done and to carry the certificate with you for all administrative errands.
Padrón may be required when:
- Applying for a NIE (some offices)
- Getting a health insurance card
- Buying a vehicle
- Getting married
In addition, the Certificate of Empadronamiento should be no more than 3 months old in order to be considered valid for the administrative tasks above. You can ask for a copy of the certificate with the current date at your nearest town hall for free.
How to get empadronamiento in Valencia?
In Valencia you can apply for the empadronamiento here:
OFICINA DEL PADRÓN MUNICIPAL – C/ Periodista Azzati, 2 – get appointment here.
OFICINA DE ATENCIÓN CIUDADANA TABACALERA – C/ Amadeo de Saboya, nº 11 – Nave Oeste- get appointment here.
JUNTA MUNICIPAL DE ABASTOS – C/. Alberique, 18
JUNTA MUNICIPAL DE MARÍTIMO – C/ Francisco Cubells, 58
JUNTA MUNICIPAL DE PATRAIX – C/. Beato Nicolás Factor, 1
JUNTA MUNICIPAL DE RUZAFA – C/ Matías Perelló, 7
JUNTA MUNICIPAL DE TRÁNSITOS – C/ Conde Lumiares, 5
You can get information or appointment by calling 010 or if calling from outside of Valencia 96 310 00 10.
Opening hours of all offices: Monday – Friday 8:30 a 14:00
- Passport (original + copy)
- NIE (if you already have it)
- Bill that you paid the rent (if you don´t own the flat/house)
- Proof of address:
- if you own the property: original copy of the title deeds (escritura)
- if you’re renting a flat: original copy of the rental agreement in Spanish/Catalan (contract must be for more than 6 months, signed within the last 5 years)
- if you rent a room:
- written document from the owner of the flat stating you reside at the address + signed copy of his/her ID
- – or –
- autorización expresa – document signed by a person already registered (empadronado) at your address + signed copy of his/her ID
The procedure is free of charge. The registration should be renewed every 5 years for EU-citizens or every time you change your home address.
If you are not sure where to go or how to process your empadronamiento, don´t hesitate to contact NIE Valencia.